Jon's Steak or Chicken Burritos (or Burrito Bowls)
- Blender or Food Processor
Marinade (For Steak or Chicken)
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 TBSP Adobo Sauce I use La Costena Chipotles Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 2 TBSP Ancho Chile Powder
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 lbs Steak or Chicken Breast I typically use sirloin steaks
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Minute Rice
- 2 TBSP Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 TBSP Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
Burrito or Burrito Bowl Optional Ingredients
- Shredded Lettuce or Romain
- Pico De Gallo
- Pinto Beans
- Red Onion
- Flour Tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Cheese (I use Fresco Mexican Crumbling Cheese) Shredded
- To make the marinade, in the bowl of a food processor or blender, add garlic, adobo sauce (you can add some Chipotle peppers in with it if they came in the sauce), ancho chile powder, olive oil, cumin, dried oregano, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Blend until smooth (add water if needed to fully blend the marinade).
- In a large zipper-top plastic bag or bowl, add steak and marinade, tossing to coat. Let the beef marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or up to 12 hours in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil until shimmering. Add marinated steak to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the temperature reaches 135 degrees for rare or 145 degrees for medium-rare. Depending on the size of your skillet, you can cook the steak in batches.
- Remove to a cutting board and tent with foil for 10 minutes. Chop into small pieces. Season to taste with salt. Serve with your favorite burrito toppings such as rice, beans, guacamole, and salsa.
Cilantro Lime Rice
- Bring 2 cups of water (salted- about 1 TBSP) to a boil
- Add 2 Cups of minute rice
- Add 2 TBSP Lime Juice
- Add 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
- Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes
- Add 1/2 cup cilantro and cover again and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir. (Sometimes I squeeze a little remaining lime juice over the cooked rice and stir)
Burrito or Burrito Bowl Assembly
- Assemble with the ingredients you like
- For a Jon's Burrito- Lay a tortilla flat and add a layer of cilantro rice, pinto beans, steak or chicken, lettuce, cheese, pico de gallo. Wrap burrito.
Adobo sauce (if you can not find premade): To make your own adobo sauce, whisk together 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (or ½ teaspoon EACH smoked paprika and cayenne powder), ½ teaspoon ground cumin, and a pinch EACH of oregano, garlic powder, and salt.