Twice Baked Potatoes
A great potato side dish that is a family favorite.
- 4 Large Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 3 TBSP Cream Cheese
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese Divided
- 3 TBSP Butter
- Bacon Bits
- Chives (Fresh or Dried)
- Set oven to 400 degrees
- Scrub the potatoes clean under running water. Poke each potato in several places with the tines of a fork so that when the potatoes are cooking they don't explode.
- Rub the potatoes all over with a little olive oil. Place directly on the middle or top rack of the oven.
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. They should give a little when pressed.
- Allow the potatoes to cool to touch. Slice the potatoes in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the insides, forming a potato "canoe", leaving about 1/4 inch of potato on the skin. Place the scooped potato into a bowl.
- Add butter, sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, and cream cheese to potatoes in bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix with a mixer until desired consistency. If your mixture is too thick (or lumpy) add some milk. If it is too thin I find that adding a little of instant potato mix helps thicken it.
- Scoop mashed potato mixture back into scooped out potatoes. Note- You likely will not have enough mixture for all of the scooped out potatoes. Plan accordingly.
- Top with cheese and bacon bits (optional)
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Optional- Top with chives