Jon's Ultimate Potato Soup
An easy and delicious creamy potato soup recipe.
- Hand Held Blender (Immersion Blender)
- 6 Strips (Uncooked) Bacon cut into small pieces
- 3 TBLS Butter (Salted)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves (minced)
- ⅓ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 5 lbs Gold Potatoes (peeled and diced into pieces no larger than 1".
- 4 Cups Chick Broth
- 2 Cups Milk
- ⅔ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Pepper
- ¼ tsp Chili Powder Optional
- Place bacon pieces in a large Dutch Oven or soup pot over medium heat and cook until bacon is crisp and browned.
- Remove bacon pieces and set aside, leaving the fat in the pot.
- Add butter and chopped onion and cook over medium heat until onions are tender (3-5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Sprinkle the flour over the ingredients in the pot and stir until smooth (use whisk if needed).
- Add 1/2 of the diced potatoes to the pot along with chicken broth, milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and ancho chili powder. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (about 10 minutes). Puree until smooth with immersion blender.
- In a separate pot boil the other half of the diced potatoes until tender. Drain and add to puree soup.
- Add sour cream and bacon and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Top with additional sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, or chives. Enjoy!